4.10.14

THAT Kind of Girl


Rorygilmore and I were lucky enough to have met the brilliant, funny, and utterly original Lena Dunham when she was in Toronto in advance of her book tour. Reading "Not That Kind of Girl" has inspired me to write a book, and not just because she thinks I'm pretty. After all, if a 28 year old has a voice, shouldn't a 50-something have something to say?

Expect MY memoirs to include, in no specific order:
  • I turned 50. And not all that recently.
  • Movies - my all time favourite list. 
  • For God's sake, don't waste your money on a wedding.
  • About self esteem.
  • My *gulp* love life - a very long list of crushes (boys I've actually met and imagined relationships with tv and movie stars), boys I dated, almost-boyfriends, boyfriends, relationships, The Soul Mate. The list will not include TheHusband, who deserves his own chapter.
  • From my office window, I watched my neighbours' marriage disintegrate.
  • When I was 17 my mother read my diary.
  • If my life was a movie, these songs would be on the soundtrack.
  • Motherhood, how I suck at it, but I could be a really cool best friend to my kids.
  • I don't even know how TheHusband puts up with me. On the other hand, he's so lucky to have me.
  • TV shows that changed my life.
  • My career, or lack thereof. 
  • Carbs really are the enemy, and other things I wish I knew when I was growing up.
  • What I wore.
I won't use the f* word as freely as Lena does, but the very fact that I can't even type the word here likely means that I won't. Hopefully my voice will be something between Lena's, and our shared idol, the late, great Nora Ephron, but with a Filipino Canadian accent.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...